The town of Dalton, which dates back to Anglo-Saxon times, lies in a narrow Furness valley which extends deep into Morecambe Bay. The ancient capital of Furness, Dalton used to be an important centre for administration and justice. Dalton Castle with its 14th century Pele Tower, is now a National Trust property. It was constructed by the monks of Furness Abbey for the protection of the nearby market town
Dalton grew with its close links to the Abbey, becoming the centre of the courts and justice administered by the Abbot of Furness. In 1239 the King granted Dalton a Market Charter reflecting its importance in the area.
Almost 2 miles to the south of the station are the ruins of Furness Abbey, a former Cistercian monastery dating back to 1123.
Today, the town is largely residential and has many flourishing shops, pubs and small businesses.
In 1764 seventeen men of Dalton-in-Furness and the surrounding district met in the White Horse Inn, then the house of Mr Thomas Taylor, and drew up the “Rules and Directions” of what was to become The Dalton Book Club. The members have met every month since that date, leading to their claim to be the oldest book club still in existence.
Take care when getting on or off trains at Dalton as platforms are low and there is a gap between the carriage floor and the platform surface.