Northern employees have been welcomed into new staff accommodation facilities at Workington, following an extensive refurbishment.
Work on the staff accommodation at Workington started in August 2020, comprising:
- Repairs to the flooring and roof structures
- Redecoration throughout
- Refurbished traincrew areas, signing on point and management suite
- New kitchen areas, with USB charging points
- New shower and toilet facilities
- Two new locker rooms, with new lockers
- New fully accessible toilet in the ticket office
- New TV room
- New quiet room
- New furniture
- Improved access for engineering colleagues
Since completion, the size of the staff area has almost doubled. The significant improvement work also includes environmentally conscious additions, such as LED lighting, which will help Northern work towards a greener and more sustainable future.
Chris Jackson, Regional Director at Northern, commented: “A huge thank you to everyone who was involved in bringing this project to fruition, you have totally transformed these spaces to bring them up to modern standards, creating a better working environment. We have had some amazing feedback already, which is a testament to the hard work and tangible benefits that have been delivered as we build back better for our customers and our people.”
Workington follows on from the completion of similar works at Manchester Victoria – both part of a network-wide improvement programme.