People have lived in the Aspatria area for at least 3000 years. The original settlement was situated along a Roman road and a large Saxon hall stood on Richmond Hill. The town is best known for the church of St. Kentigern and the remains of an Anglo-Danish cross can be seen in the church.
Aspatria station was built by the Maryport & Carlisle railway in 1841. The town grew following the building of the railway and in the last half of the 19th Century, five coal mines operated. The last one closed in 1940.
Walk 1km from the station into the town where there are various shops, cafés, and a pub. Spectacular scenes of the Scottish and Lake District mountains can be seen in the distance.